Tuesday, October 18, 2011

BIO for book

My name is Arsenio Jordan and i would like to give you a brief synopsis of my life in reference to language and human rights. I was born and raised in Queens , New york and my date of birth is February ,17 ,1989. I grew up in the heart of South side Jamaica which to many is a place infested with violence and poverty. This was the case with me also as i was surrounded by Police brutality as well as heavy gang activity. I was sort of put in a weird position growing up. Usually  the way you are brought up inside the home determines your actions and thought process outside of home. For me it Determined the type of people that i associated myself with.  This was not to be cool or to be in the "in crowd' but as a form of protection rather. In other words i had to put on this hard thuggish act so that i would not be the one picked on.  Ironically this only took place in school. Outside i was the intelligent young man my parents would hope for me to be.  it is then and only then when my rights were taken away from me.  I would go to the store and get something like a bag of chips or juice and the merchant would automatically think i was stealing. I have been patted down countless times for suspicion.
As far as language goes i have taken the many bits and pieces of my everyday life and expressed them in a poetic form.  I got interested in poetry around the age of 12.  The older i became the more i found it so astonishing to have the ability to write in a artistic manner.  I have three black and white notebooks filled front to back with poems about my view of life and how it relates to me.  This poem that i have written is sort of my speexh to young artists like myself.  I think the fact that so many people's rights are violated is because of the silence that accompanies it.  If we as the people are afraid to speak up about the problems of the world then they will not be fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment